Posted on June 12, 2012 by James Young
Simply put, Adesso Web Client (AWC) is a server-side version of Adesso that happens to work over any web browser. Its core use case is for field data entry on modern browsers such as Safari on iOS, Firefox on PC/Mac, Chrome, and even IE on PC. Imagine your Adesso application, but accessible over a web browser. That’s basically it. Nothing more.
How is it different from regular Adesso Client?
Because it runs over a web browser, there are some inherent limitations in AWC. This includes the following:
- It runs in online mode, meaning you need a live internet connection to use it
- Binaries are currently in read-only mode, meaning that photo capture, signatures, and the like are read only
- Some of the more complex functions in the Adesso expression engine are not supported
If it can’t do those things with AWC, then why should I use it?
Well, it’s free for Adesso users. There’s no fee to use it. The typical use case of AWC is for basic field data capture and/or editing using a standard web browser, including your mobile phone. There’s no software to download or install. It just works, as long as you have Internet connectivity. It’s great for editing records that were entered by another person and for entering new records where you are simply entering text, picking values from list boxes, selecting radio buttons, etc.
What are the benefits to using AWC?
- It’s free (for Adesso users)
- It runs over a browser, so there’s no software to download or install
- It syncs automatically. Because it’s already connected to the server, you don’t need to click on the sync button (which doesn’t even exist in AWC)
- It runs on iPhones, iPads, Android Phones, Windows Phones, etc
When will more features be available on AWC?
We are working on improving AWC. Currently, this is version 1.0. By this time next year, it should be pretty close to parity with the standard Adesso Client app, except that it will be limited to online only, not offline.
Would you like to be notified of upcoming changes and developments? Fill out the form below!